[Dixielandjazz] ASCAP Launches Infringement Actions

BillSargentDrums at aol.com BillSargentDrums at aol.com
Wed Jan 26 14:56:33 PST 2005

Press  Release
Source:  ASCAP
ASCAP Launches  Infringement Actions against Establishments Performing
Copyrighted Music without  Permission
Monday January 24, 1:27 pm  ET
NEW  YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Jan. 24,  2005--Today, the American Society of
Composers, Authors and Publishers filed 24 separate copyright infringement
actions against nightclubs, bars, and restaurants in 15 states and the District
of  Columbia. These establishments (listed  below) have publicly performed the
copyrighted musical works of ASCAP's  songwriter, composer and music publisher
members without receiving their  permission to do so, resulting in lost
income.
"Informing business owners  of their obligations under Federal Copyright Law
is one of ASCAP's key roles,"  said Vincent Candilora, Senior Vice President
of Licensing at ASCAP. "We provide  any business using music the opportunity to
receive permission through  acceptance of a license covering the use of over
8 million copyrighted songs and  compositions, and we make every effort to
educate business owners concerning  their music licensing responsibilities. If
our good efforts are ignored, then  our only recourse is legal action."
During 2004, ASCAP  achieved a 100% success rate with its copyright
infringement litigation, with  all concluded cases resulting in either a cash
settlement or a judgment in favor  of ASCAP members. This is significant as ASCAP
represents over 200,000 member  owners who, for the most part, are songwriters and
composers who rely heavily on  their ASCAP royalties, as well as ASCAP's
enforcement efforts on their behalf.  Over 86 cents of every dollar collected is
distributed to its members, the music  creators.
According to Vince  Abbatiello, ASCAP Vice President of Sales and Director of
General Licensing,  "When business owners ignore their obligations and
violate Federal Copyright  Law, they are actually stealing from the songwriters and
composers who created  the music compositions that those businesses are using.
Individual songwriters  and composers are the ultimate small business people,
working on their own with  limited opportunity for sustained success. We only
take legal action when all  other means of resolution have been exhausted.
But when we litigate on behalf of  our members, our success rate is always very
high. Business owners who ignore  the Copyright Law in the belief that they
can escape penalty should treat this  very seriously. Don't steal our members'
music."
Establishment, City and State:
Challengers, Pelham, AL
Back Porch, Tuscalossa, AL
Hard Dock Cafe, Decatur, AL
Saddlerack, Chandler, AZ
Josh Slocum's, Newport Beach, CA
Joe's Cafe, Branford, CT
Home Nightclub, Washington, DC
Jade, Miami Beach, FL
Estate (f/k/a Nocturnal), Chicago, IL
Hundred South Grille a/k/a 100 South Chop House, Elmhurst, IL
Le Passage/Yow Bar, Chicago, IL
Costello's, Jamaica Plain, MA
Buffalo Billiards, Gaithersburg, MD
American Sports Cafe, St. Paul, MN
Buffalo Tap & Grille, Savage, MN
Soulard Ale House, St. Louis, MO
Gilligan's, Surf City, NC
J. Lindsay's, Columbus, OH
Denim, Philadelphia, PA
R.P. McMurphy's, Holmes, PA
Wolfy's, Nashville, TN
Happy Town Karaoke, Houston, TX
OUI Club, Wichita Falls, TX
Scuttlebutts Restaurant and Bar, Lubbock, TX
About ASCAP
Established in 1914, ASCAP  is the first and leading Performing Rights
Organization in the U.S., representing the world's largest  music repertory. ASCAP
is committed to protecting the rights of its members by  licensing and
collecting royalties for the public performance of their  copyrighted works, and then
distributing these fees to the Society's members  based on performances.
Unlike the other American Performing Rights  Organizations, ASCAP's Board of
Directors is made up solely of writers and  publishers, elected by the membership
every two years. Every year ASCAP provides  over $3 million dollars in special
awards to promising music creators whose  works may be performed in venues that
may not be actively surveyed. And the  ASCAP Foundation, established in 1975
by ASCAP members, has the mission of  nurturing new talent and promoting music
education. It has assisted countless  aspiring music creators in career
development and fulfillment.

Contact:
     ASCAP
     Pauline Stack, 212-621-6278