[Dixielandjazz] anybody up to applying for grants?

Jeanne Brei TinPanAlleyCat at cox.net
Wed Jan 26 04:38:09 PST 2005

Hey all,
   It may be too late for the NEA (deadline is 1/31) but here's a couple of grants notices that I found:

Through the generous support of the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation, Chamber Music America is pleased to request applications for our jazz commissioning program, "New Works: Creation and Presentation Program," which is currently entering its sixth year. The New Works: Creation and Presentation Program supports the creation of new compositions in the jazz idiom.  Funding is available to professional jazz ensembles that are led by or include a composer/performer.  Ensembles must consist of a core of musicians who perform original music that includes jazz improvisation, have a demonstrated history of performing together as a jazz ensemble, and range in size from two to ten members.  Works may represent the wide range of styles associated with jazz, from traditional to non-traditional.  The grant includes the composition and performances of the new work. Grant range: $10,000 to $15,000, Deadline: February 24, 2005. For more info, contact William Pace, Program Officer, Chamber Music America, 305 7th Avenue, 5th floor, New York, NY 10001. Telephone: 212 242 2022 x14; fax:  212 242 7955; or e-mail: WPace at chamber-music.org.

and then there's the NEA grant:

Organization
The National Endowment for the Arts
Job Title
Jazz Masters Fellowships
Description
The National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowships are the highest honors that our nation bestows upon jazz musicians. In 2004, the size of the award was increased to $25,000 and the number of awards also grew from three to six. The expanded NEA Jazz Masters initiative includes an anthology of the masters' music issued by verve music Group and a fifty-state tour of the masters with an educational program. Radio profiles of the masters will be instituted in 2005. The arts endowment will honor musicians who represent a range of styles and instruments. Nominations may be made by submitting a one-page letter that details the reasons that the nominee should receive a National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowship. For more information, call 202-682-5428; or visit: http://www.fedgrants.gov/Applicants/NEA/NEA/NEA/A/listing.html DEADLINE: January 31, 2005.

Deadline for applications
January 31, 2005
Type of Employment
Grant Opportunity
Salary range
Not Listed
Application materials desired
See Website
Contact Name
Not Listed

Good luck to anyone on the list going for either of these! We'd all love to hear that a trad jazz band wins one!