[Dixielandjazz] "High profile gig" report

Tim Eldred julepjerk at surewest.net
Sun Jan 23 11:13:29 PST 2005

I apologize for the delay in posting this....

Tom Wiggins had sent notice of the gig last Tuesday by the Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band, leading a jazz funeral for the California Nurses Association.  I went down on lunch hour, and it was a rousing success!  Bob Williams was also there on his lunch hour, and Bob Romans had his double-bell euphonium to join in.  The band all wore outfits of black pants and shirts, a long-tail white coat, white shoes and Australian-style hats in purple and gold.  They made quite a striking presence, especially on the TV news broadcasts that night.  (And there were a lot of media present.)

They led a procession of nurses from the Sacramento Convention Center to the north steps of the State Capitol, playing mournful music.  Then, when they arrived at the Capitol, they hit an up-tempo version of Saints that got the crowd totally pumped and moving.  The opening line by the first speaker - pointing at the band and way the crowd was reacting, said "this Capitol has never seen anything like this."  Having witnessed my share of protests and meetings on the Capitol steps, it was - thanks to the band and the music - one of the largest, most lively groups I've seen.

Regrettably, I had to get back to a meeting at work and couldn't stay for more music - but it was a wonderful time.

Tim Eldred
Roseville, CA