[Dixielandjazz] front line / back line - Lu Watters & YBJB

Stan Brager sbrager at socal.rr.com
Sat Jan 22 12:42:56 PST 2005

Dave;

There's really no contradiction here. In a musical sense, the front line
consists of the instruments which play the melody while the second (back)
line consists of the rhythm players. In the physical setup, it could be
anything that the leader desires which fits his musical goals. In the case
of the photos you've referred to, many of the ones of the YBJB in the Good
Time Jazz Lu Watters' CD set do show the melody horns in front of the rhythm
with the tuba or bass to the left side of the stage. One advantage is that
the second line can be seen as well as heard.

As to why Watters arranged his musicians, you'd have to wait for some of the
older guys on the list who knew Lu.

Stan
Stan Brager