[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland before ragtime?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 21 16:24:11 PST 2005

Hi all,

Sign guy wrote:

>There is a very
>definite phenomenon that happens with Musicians.  The over trained just
>can't play jazz and the Jazzers just don't read very well.   . . .

Now while it is true I know some really well trained musicians who don't
seem to be able to really swing and I also know some fine jazz guys who
don't read too well (if at all), is it possible that the above statement may
be a bit over generalized?

I do know some really well trained musicians who are kick-ass jazzers and I
know some fine jazzers who can read anything you stick in front of them!

I did have to laugh, however, at a birthday party which was attended by
symphony players and dixielanders and who all brough axes to play the
Birthday Song (Haaaappy Birthday to you, etc). What made me laugh was that
the Symphony players didn't want to play it in "F" (the standard key) but
indicated they'd like to play it in "A" (a good key for fiddle players).
The jazz musicians played it in A with no problem and seemed a bit amused by
the whole thing.

Cheers,

Bill "I can play anything provided it's written for washboard" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com