[Dixielandjazz] Unforgivable Blackness score

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 20 21:58:21 PST 2005

Folks--
     I just got around to watching the tape of the first half of
"Unforgivable Blackness", about the black fighter Jack Johnson, which
aired last week on PBS.  The film itself is very good (i.e., the
universal but hidden substitution for "i liked it"), and the score
has a number of very nice OKOM songs. I thought perhaps someone would
have mentioned this by now.
     Wynton Marsalis did the score and wrote some new music and
arrangements for the film (see
http://www.pbs.org/unforgivableblackness/about/credits.html). He used
songs such as "Smokehouse Blues", "Sidewalk Blues", "High Society",
"Weary Blues", and "We'll Meet Again".  His musicians include
Wycliffe Gordon, Michael White, and Mark O'Conner.  There's some good
stuff here.

     Dan

--
**  Dan Augustine     Austin, Texas    ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu   **
**    "The insidious thing about wind instruments is the fact that    **