[Dixielandjazz] How The Gospel Folks Get a Young Audience

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 20 13:31:17 PST 2005

Couldn't help digging an ad for a Gospel Music Cruise that hopes to appeal
to upwardly mobile young people

4 Days, from Ft Lauderdale to Nassau in the Bahamas.

"Gospel Concerts, Singles Mingle, Forum on Relationships, Seminar on How to
Start Your Own Business, Fashion Show, Talent Show. For couples and
Singles." Complete with Gospel Musicians/Bands.

A Gospel Praise Fest - "Valentine Extravaganza 05."

Over the Valentine's Day Weekend, Feb 11 - 14.

Starting at $450.00.

Maybe some enterprising cruise promoter, or some enterprising Dixieland
Festival promoter could modify this concept for Dixieland? Venues could be
on land or at sea.

Like, since we have "Elder Hostels", why not "Younger Hostels" that zero in
on young people, swinging visceral jazz and relevance to the young?

After all, OKOM Elder Hostels is a dying business. We don't invest our money
in shrinking companies as opposed to growth companies do we?

Cheers,
Steve Barbone