[Dixielandjazz] Guide tones---explained

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Wed Jan 19 11:00:56 PST 2005

Bill,

In the key of Ab, the Ab chord is the tonic and probably wouldn't be Ab7 --
it would typically be Ab6 or possibly Abma7, which is rare in Dixieland.
The added sixth is very common on both major and tonic minor chords.  Of
course the added sixth of Ab is F.

(this explanation was in the paragraph just before the one you quoted)

-- Paul Edgerton