[Dixielandjazz] Passages 2004

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Tue Jan 11 18:34:40 PST 2005

Hi all,

I am planning my Thursday show for this week and I wanted to do a
special tribute to "major" OKOM musicians who passed away in 2004. So
far I have come up with:

Tuba Fats Lacen
Billy May
Wallace Davenport
Illinois Jaquet
Ray Charles
Frank Thomas
Artie Shaw
Lester Lanin
Frederik Fennell
Cy Coleman, Composer
Vernon Alley
Jim Beebe
Al Davis
Claude "Fiddler" Williams
Harry Babbitt
Alvino Rey

and I will play some reissue recordings by John R T Davies

and more "modern" jazzers (for the 2nd part of my program):

Elvin Jones
Barney Kessel
Steve Lacy
Pete Jolly
Jackie Paris
Bart Howard, the composer of ``Fly Me to the Moon'' (my wife's favorite
tune...)

Is there anyone I missed who might have been just under the "famous"
level? I know there were several DJML members (or bandmates of list
members,) but I don't have recordings from most of them on hand. The
ones I know of:

Frank Haggerty
Lowell Miller
Brian Ogilvie
Marshall (Tiny) Rips
Roy Lang
Mike Carrell
Frank Mantooth
Dave Wierbach
Don "Big Bird" Abrahamson
John Wood

Anyway, I hope I do honor all of their contributions to jazz (and
related music...)

Dave Richoux  The Jazz Parade KFJC 89.7FM  www.kfjc.org Thursdays
10am-2pm PST