[Dixielandjazz] More on "distortion" in early electrical recording

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jan 11 08:44:01 PST 2005

>>>"Gurgling" - Mike used this term and I took it up. I agree that it is
now
best used to describe a digital artefact in noise reduction. However, this
is not what can be heard on the May 1925 Columbias. John R T Davies, who
did the Bessie transfers for Frog, worked only in the analogue domain and
the Maggie Jones transfers that I have are also analogue (done by John
Waddley for VJM in the late 1960s). I suggest that the audible problems
that some of us hear are definitely a time-of-recording phenomenon.<<<

Agreed, it definitely originated at the time of recording, and after-the-fact noise reduction brought it to the fore (though not, apparently, on all cleaned-up versions, as Mr Smith of Norway indicates he cannot hear the "Cake Walking" gurgle).  But I'm confused as to Mr Davies' working "only in the analogue domain."  Do you mean he did not use digital technology to do his cleaning?  If so, I've been VERY confused, and he was MORE of a god than I at first believed!,

--
Etc,

Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
www.naorc.org