[Dixielandjazz] Wow.

Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jan 8 15:34:38 PST 2005

I just received the bulk of the 8-vol Bessie Smith on Frog, remastered
by our much-missed Mr Davies.  To my SHOCK, upon listening to "Cake
Walking Babies," Bessie's first electrical recording, I hear (and had
confirmed in the liner notes) the very same distortion that, at first,
I'd attributed to a poorly preserved Columbia cassette, and then, upon
receiving a dub of the CD version of same, to Columbia, itself.  All
along, so I now learn, Bessie was simply singing too close into the
primitive microphone.

The things we do learn...,
--
Etc,

Fr M J "Mike" Logsdon
North American Old Roman Catholic Church (Utrecht Succession)
www.naorc.org