[Dixielandjazz] Operatic Recordings

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 7 07:03:15 PST 2005

on 1/7/05 7:10 AM, PATRICK LADD at pj.ladd at btinternet.com wrote:

> Yes, I am quite serious. If you can't do it the way it was written to be
> done, (Opera that is) then IMHO, don't do it.>>
>
> Aw c`mon,
> there is not a single recording issued these days which has not been
> `tweaked` in some way, fluffs removed, better solo inserted etc.,
> instruments balanced.
>
> We may not approve but there is no way back. Why pick on opera?

Please go back to the context of the entire article. Picking on the article,
not opera. The CD producer is spending 14 days and $600,000 to produce the
CD. And then bitching that they can't afford to do that because a DVD can be
produced for $200,000. And the consumers will opt for the DVD.

What??? Give me a break. That surprises him?

It is not that DVDs are forcing CDs out of business, but that the elitist
record producers somehow think they have a license to spend more on
production than the buying public will pay at retail.

Pat, how about you and I show them how to produce an Operatic CD for about
1/10th cost? :-) VBG. Or a DVD for 1/5 the stated cost?

OK, we're too old so forget about doing that. Younger guys will. :-) VBG

Producing an "Operatic" CD over 14 days, because you can't seem to be able
to do it live in 2 hours is a lot different than "tweaking" a CD, removing a
fluff etc. (Yeah I'm against that too, because you've altered what was
created by the artist)

No way back? OK. Then why not just have the machines produce the music and
the voice. That way it will all be perfect. Add computer graphics for the
visual and you can really perfect the DVD versions. :-) VBG.

And John Farrell will become rich and famous because what he does is better
than what the past masters have produced on the piano. And soon, if not
already, he'll be able to do better than present masters. :-) VBG

Operas have been around for centuries. Operas on CD have only been around
for a couple of decades. DVDs, even less. So what is the big deal? Operas
were written as audio/visual events. So why shouldn't the DVD continue this
tradition in preference to a CD which is only half event, but which the
producer seems to think should sell for double the price?

Or why, as is my contention, shouldn't the CD be produced at a reasonable
cost, live at a performance? Then if you want to hear it in your car, you
can, at an affordable cost.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone