[Dixielandjazz] Star Spangled Banner

dhs at ev1.net dhs at ev1.net
Thu Jan 6 21:55:42 PST 2005

Dear Listers:

Over the weekend, I heard a stirring rendition of the Star Spangled Banner
at a football game.  It was played at the Rose Bowl by the University of
Michigan Marching Band.  In welcome contrast to the "a capella look at me"
style, this one was played at a moderately brisk pace by hordes of competent
brass players.  There may have been woodwinds playing, but the sound picked
up by the TV mikes was a marvelous giant brass choir.  It sounded wonderful.

It may have been a coincidence, but in my opinion the Rose Bowl was also the
most entertaining of the major bowl games, won by the University of Texas
28-27 on the game's final play.  I am not a Texas alum, but a lot of my
friends are.  It was a happy weekend in Austin.

Regards,
Dave Stoddard
Round Rock, TX