[Dixielandjazz] Interlochen

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Wed Jan 5 15:34:32 PST 2005

Speaking of cutting contests.  Some years ago there was a company that was
trying to sell a gadget (varitone?)that would allow a reed player to play in
octaves.  They had a big band behind Boots Randolph, A symphony player and
one of the local heroes name Bob (deceased) who had played on the Kenton
band.  (unfortunately I can't remember his last name).  They all demoed the
device and then they had Bob and Boots doing fours in an up tempo tune.
Things were going pretty frantic and Bob gave it all he had and Boots played
his exact solo and then fired one back.  I had never seen anyone do that
before.  It was almost like he said I matched you now try this!!!