[Dixielandjazz] Interlochen

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 5 10:44:09 PST 2005

Hello all,

Interesting post about the Interlochen Music Camp.  I attended a session
there in the mid-1980s for symphonic band and an extra-curricular jazz big
band.  The challenge system used by the conductor did not have the students
have a say, though the challenges were done during rehearsals and so
everyone heard the challenge.  The director decided if the challenger had
won, but didn't announce it.  The director told the participants after the
rehearsal and, if anything had changed, the students would be in different
seats for the following rehearsal.  I didn't find anything unusual about
this practice as this was essentially the same system employed in my high
school.  I can see how having the band members democratically vote could be
rather unobjective.

I found the music aspect at Interlochen to be wonderful (band, directors,
rehearsals, private lessons and campus), but the camping aspect was
miserable.  When the band director announced the formation of the
extra-curricular big band, I jumped to sign up only to be told by my
college-age cabin counselor person that I wouldn't be able to go because it
was required that I participate in "camping" activities -- swimming, soccer,
cookouts etc.--a practice I called "forced fun."  I protested that I was
only there for a short time and it was ridiculous that I couldn't join a big
band because I had to be back in mid-afternoon for "recess" with a bunch of
people I didn't know (much less like).  He said I had no choice and that it
was policy!  I joined the big band anyway and only showed up back at the
cabin to sleep.  No one ever said anything else to me about it.  Come to
think of it, I don't really think I associated with anyone at the camp site.
  The campus and the campgrounds are really like two separate worlds.

BTW- I don't know if it's still standing, but they had a large band shell
where the seats for the audience were benches and it was under the trees.
That's where we played our concerts.  It's been there for years and someone
there told me that Paul Whiteman's group had played on that stage in the
1920s.

All the best,
Rob McCallum