[Dixielandjazz] Artie Shaw

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Sat Jan 1 08:01:33 PST 2005

Shaw fans should know about the following:

"Artie Shaw: Musical Biography and Discography" by Vladimir Simosko,
Scarecrow Press, Rutgers Institute of Jazz Studies. 2000. 279pp, of which
141pp are the bio. It's a large format book, with loads of photos.

I enjoy both Shaw and Goodman, and because their concepts/styles are
different, they fit different moods. Viewing them from the perspective of
making fake book sheets of their best known tunes, I always have the urge
to transcribe Shaw,  virtually never Goodman--my only Goodman transcription
is his solo on "Deep Harlem". That's got to be due to the nature of their
respective solos...Shaw can be transcribed and memorized, but Goodman??

--Sheik