[Dixielandjazz] TV, Ratings and Jazz

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sun Feb 27 20:10:58 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/27/05 12:14:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rakmccallum at hotmail.com writes:

> When you're talking about Nielsen ratings, you can be talking about how
> many
> "millions" of people watched a particular event in order for it to be
> successful.

Hi Rob: Yes that is true, however it should be noted that the Nielson ratings
are done the same way many polls are conducted and do not necessarily reflect
the actual situation or response to the advertisements.

The people reporting to Nielson are paid to let Nielson hook up monitors on
their TVs to monitor what they watch, now since Nielson knows who has the
monitors they certainly could count the results in such a way as to sway their
weight to marketers by using their formulas like for every house watching this
show there is an average of four persons viewing your program and or commercial
aired on it etc.

Kind of like the old newspaper circulation numbers and the four to one pass
along rating etc.

I was offered a $100.00 a month to let Nielson hook up a monitor to my TVs, I
turned it down because I did not want to do all the paperwork that comes
along with it and put up with the telemarketing calls that certainly would have
followed.

We have video telephones now, so it can't be long till we can talk to the TV
folks and actually have them surprise us by talking back to us. :))   That is
when I shall go back to my crystal radio.

It is bad enough that they can already see inside your computer and know who
you are talking to and what you are saying.  Would not surprise me to see the
Jazz Police show up at my door any day now and arrest me for suspicion of
being a DJML  cell member and a secret supporter of OKOM. :))

Cheers,

Tom  " Like my privacy"  Wiggins
musical content:  "Paranoia Strikes me, into my life it creeps ......
What's that sound everybody look who's goin down?"