[Dixielandjazz] Last Dollar performed by Blanche Calloway

George G. Loring giddygid at excite.com
Fri Feb 25 09:43:35 PST 2005

I have been researching a tune Last Dollar to try to discover the composer(s?) for a friend. Brian Rust American Dance Band Discography shows Eddie Droesch Orch. 11/5/31 (mx # 351126-2 issued  on Clarion 5407, Har 1389H,Velvetone 2467-V , and  Okeh 41532 [as Buddy Campbell & Orch.] It was also recorded for RCA Victor by Blanche Calloway and Her Joy Boys on 11/5/31. A fellow collector in my area who has listened to both says that they are the same tune. Moreover the listing in Tom Lord's Discography of a different version by Ben Selvin recorded May 5, 1931, is apparently an error, since the fellow collector, at my request, listened both to the TOM CD listed in said discography and to the Harrison LP(recorded from the Clarion 78), and says that they are exactly the same.

I discovered from a website that "Nichols" is given credit on the Blanche Calloway record. I do not know who is given credit on any of the Eddie Droesch records.The closest guess that I can come to who "Nichols" is is Alberta Nichols, a lyricist who collaberated with Mann Holiner on some tunes for Lew Leslie's Blackbirds in the 1930s, and on
other tunes (shown in the ASCAP database).

If anyone out there has access to the 78RPMs listed in Rust to examine them for composer credit or any more about the composer(s?)of Last Dollar, I would like to hear of it.

GIDDY GID