[Dixielandjazz] Louis Cafe

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 24 13:01:52 PST 2005

Hi all,

E. 9th at Avenue B is where Charlie Parker lived, though he was between B
and A.  Maybe that's the modern block and between B and C is where all the
traditionalists hang out : )  That used to be a bit of a dicey area --
muggings and drugs (though hip with a lot of musicians and artists of all
styles living there--what the Village had been years before), though I hear
the Yuppies have moved in and more upscale businesses are opening.  Beat
poet Allen Ginsberg was living in that neighborhood when he passed away
(14th and Avenue A).

BTW-- As Steve posted, property values in Manhattan have become so
ridiculous that even successful music clubs can no longer afford it.
Smalls, an all-night basement club that closed a few months back, was driven
out--and they were lined up out the door most every night.  They were so
popular that the owner opened up another jazz place in the backroom of a
pool hall around the corner just to handle the overflow on the weekends.
Now, just that back room is still open (called the Fat Cat).

Many artists and musicians are moving to Brooklyn, especially the
Williamsburg area along Bedford Ave. (nicknamed Avenue E because it's only
one subway stop out of Manhattan--I think it's on the L line).  The jazz
scene hasn't moved though--I think because so many of the jazz patrons are
tourists.  They did try and open up a jazz club in Williamsburg, but the
live music didn't last long (someone's son, I think it was Stan Getz's son,
was the one that started that).

All the best,
Rob McCallum