[Dixielandjazz] Trombone as a Melody Instrument - Redux

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 11:23:45 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/24/05 11:03:24 AM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Why? Their stated raison d'etre id to pay homage to Louis Armstrong and on
> Sundays, there is a TROMBONE - BASS DUO. Hey, maybe the Bass is playing
> melody while the Trombone tailgates? :-) VBG
> -----
> Louis; 649 E. 9th St.   (Ave B / Ave C) (212) 673-1190
> An East Village cafe/wine bar paying homage to Armstrong with live jazz solo
> piano on Tuesdays, piano trios featured every Wednesday and Thursday, and a
> Trombone/bass duo on Sundays. Performances are 9 -11:30.  Pre-recorded jazz
> playing all other times.

While that appears to be a wonderful idea, it might be a lot more apropos if
they actually had a Trumpet player working their playing some Armstrong music,
or did Louis really play the Piano and not the trumpet.

Sometimes Well meaning folks just don't seem to have a CLUE about what they
are actually doing, or perhaps it was the piano players idea so he could/she
could get a gig.

Just my immediate thoughts on the situation.

Perhaps I could open a jazz cafe here with a Banjo player paying homage to
Jack Teagarden and a side room with a Bongo player paying homage to Harry James,
and across the street an all instrumental trio paying homage to Frank
Sinatra.

Just don't sound right to me. :))   But Heck maybe that's ART and I just
don't understand it.

Cheers,

Tom Keep it Real  Wiggins

I say if you want to pay homage to Louis Armstrong, go buy a book and at
least look at the pictures and see what instrument he played, Or maybe the owner
has been convinced that a piano is actually a trumpet.