[Dixielandjazz] RE: Jim Kashishian on the Trombone

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 05:13:04 PST 2005

Jim wrote: Marty wrote yesterday:
"the trombone was a very unwieldy and clumsy instrument for
many players in
jazz bands."

"My answer to that one is:
Take a listen to those 4 girls that are honking trombones
in the group
called "Bones Apart" (http://www.bonesapart.co.uk/ ) and

then try to tell methat a trombone is clumsy!We've both been playing for the same amount of time, Marty, and if you havekept it up as steady as I have for those 53 years I doubt if you're anythingbut clumsy on the horn".{sic}

First of all Jim, I doubt if there are many bone players that have "kept it up as Steady" as you have "for those 53 years."

I have read of your exploits for years here on the list. It's fantastic what you have been able to do in Spain. Are you still there?

I did clearly state that from the beginning there have been players so articulate on the trombone they have made it "look easy." As to modern era trombonists, there are many more articulate players around than there were in the early years. I think that goes without argument.

Jack Teagarden was an early example of ease with the horn. Miff Mole another, though his later years showed a significant loss of technique imo. Jack Jenney, Tommy Dorsey, Lawrence Brown, Carl Fontana, Frank Rosolino, Urbie Green, J.J. Johnson and on and on are examples of gthe most articulate players. Today there are so many great players they couldn't all be listed: Conrad Herwig, Steve Davis, Mike Pittsley, John Allred, Dan Barrett, Russ Philips, Bill Watrous, on and on.

But I will stick with what I said that from the start of Jazz, many of the trombonists were pumping that rythmic "tailgate" and less articulate form of jazz.  And Jim, I'd love to buy one of your cds!

Marty Nichols