[Dixielandjazz] RE: Trombone playing melody etc.

Martin Nichols marnichols at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 12:50:28 PST 2005

From: "Mike C." <mike at michaelcryer.com>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Melody Instruments
To: dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com
I'm just curious how come trombones in traditional jazz
never have the
melody? I asked a friend of mine who is an instructor and
he clearly
shouted "Trombones never take the melody!" Why ?

This may be against the grain in some quarters, but having played trombone for 53 years I have my own answer to the question.
>From the early years of jazz, there have been a few players that were highly articulate on the trombone, and therefore had little problem with melody and lead playing. But, for the greater part, the trombone was a very unwieldy and clumsy instrument for many players in jazz bands.
You can hear this; both the articulate and the inarticulate in the recordings through the years.
There are "giants" , mostly gone now, but a few remain on trombone that virtually can play any thing required and do it very well. Still, in the land of dixieland jazz, the trombone is never as "featured" as the other front line players.
No one would say that Lou McGarity, nor Cutty Cutshall {both deceased} were poor players; however, I recently heard evidence once again of how both struggled to make their instrument more accepted as "important."
On the cd "Wild Bill Davison with Eddie Condon's All Stars Live!  1955 Miami Beach" trombonist Lou McGarity was playing rather "unevenly" throughout the concert. He had some really great moments, and some lesser moments. But the main thing I noticed was that he struggled with the audience in the matter of applause. Almost all the featured solos got applause, I noticed none of Lou's solos achieving applause.
In another cd "Condon Concert" another live performance , location unknown, Cutty Cutshall did his usual perfectionist performance. He had problems in the "medley" however. His "mean to Me" solo was marred by a rather awkward finish.
One could sense his struggle.  In this case however, Cutty got rousing applause.
Let's face it, even J.J. Johnson called the trombone an awkward instrument.
Humbly submitted,
Marty Nichols
Trombone Player