FW: [Dixielandjazz] Melody Instruments

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Wed Feb 23 04:04:06 PST 2005

Mike, your instructor friend is very much wrong.  Trombones can & do take
the melody from time to time.

--Bob Ringwald

I agree, Bob.  Since our band became a two man front line (trombone &
trumpet)when our sop sax retired, Pepe & I often swap the melody line.  Some
tunes just sound nice on the 'bone, or we do it for variety's sake (our's,
mainly!), or the bone will grab the bridge or maybe swap "A's" with the
trumpet.  We don't have anything set.  It's just a nod of the head "and take
it" sort of thing.  Keeps you on your toes, which is what playing is all
about.

Two examples where "physical fitness" comes into play on a long set:  On the
Street Where You Live & Cabaret are both (what feel like, if you're
blowing)long tunes so a swap between "A's" or the bridge can save ones
chops.....and, it gives variety for the listener.

Jim