[Dixielandjazz] Melody Instruments

Tony Orr jsbarque at netscape.net
Wed Feb 23 02:33:14 PST 2005

Yes. I did a gig today with the Wombat Jazz Band to welcome two big
cruise ships at Port Melbourne. The band had Trombone and Clarinet with
banjo and bass. The trom, Chris Ludowyk played most of the melodies.

 From a banjo player's perspective, the Firehouse Five plus Two often
had the banjo of Dick Roberts playing melody as in "Just A Stomp At
Twilight. A master of the instrument. One of my favourite tracks.

A Dixieland band wanting to stand out from the crowd might consider
using the bazooka as the lead instrument. see
http://www.gumfudgin.com/bazookas1.htm
The potential is there to keep pushing the boundaries of OKOM without
stepping too far forward in time and, still be entertaining.

cheers

Tony Orr
Banjo, Riviera Jazz Band
Sale, Vic