[Dixielandjazz] Melody Instruments

Edgerton, Paul A paul.edgerton at eds.com
Tue Feb 22 22:27:17 PST 2005

Mike C. wrote:
> I'm just curious how come trombones in traditional jazz never have
> the melody?  I asked a friend of mine who is an instructor and he
> clearly shouted "Trombones never take the melody!" Why ?

Your friend is wrong.  Listen to almost any recording of Jelly Roll Morton's
Red Hot Peppers.  He often gives an entire strain to the trombone.  You'll
find the same thing on some of the Hot Five sides. Ditto Lu Watters.  I'm
pretty sure most people would consider that stuff "traditional jazz."  :o)

-- Paul Edgerton, at your service.