[Dixielandjazz] So what's wrong with banjos, huh!

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 22 19:27:24 PST 2005

Hi Bill and everyone,

What makes the banjo routine that the Boondockers perform so funny?  Would
that bit work if everyone in the band picked up a trumpet or a bass and
tried to play it on stage?  I'm not sure.  Maybe it's because it's such a
"folksy" instrument and it seems that at least one person in everyone's
extended family picked up and tried to play a banjo at one time or another.
My father tried to play a banjo for years, and he only ever tried to play 2
songs--Black Velvet Band and Cripple Creek.  They were, quite literally, the
only 2 songs he ever tried to play in all that time, and he never seemed to
get any better.  But, of course, he was from Scotland so he obviously was
trying to play the wrong instrument!  Perhaps I should count my blessings
that he didn't attempt the bagpipes : )

All the best,
Robert Bruce (yes, that's really my name) McCallum