[Dixielandjazz] Gig

G. William Oakley gwilliamoakley at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 19:16:57 PST 2005

Hi Paul:
The answer appears to be there is no answer.
See below:

Q] From Dick Bellach: "The slang word gig is used by professional
performers, usually musicians, but not limited to them, to mean a paying
engagement they have agreed to do: 'I'm playing a gig at the Metropole next
Monday'. The term is so ubiquitous, I've heard it has spread to England and
the Continent. But, to my knowledge, no one knows its origin. Can you be of
assistance?"

[A] The term is usually taken to be of American origin, but the interesting
thing is that the first two citations in the Oxford English Dictionary are
from a London publication, Melody Maker, in 1926 and 1927. So the word in
this sense has long been known in Britain.

Gig is yet another of those words for which researchers can give no firm
origin, and what follows is largely supposition, following the leads given
by Dr Jonathan Lighter in the Random House Historical Dictionary of American
Slang.

The oldest sense of gig was of something that whirled or turned (as in
whirligig); much later it was applied to a fast two-wheeled carriage,
presumably because its big wheels went around quickly, and later to a fast
ship's boat. There are many other senses.

>From the 1840s in the US, Mr Lighter shows it also applied to a form of
betting, involving a set of three or five numbers selected by the bettor.
>From his examples, it seems the winning numbers were drawn from a rotating
device, called a wheel, presumably like a lottery or tombola drum, which
must be the link to the name. By the beginning of the twentieth century, Mr
Lighter suggests the word had begun to be applied more generally to a
business, state of affairs, or an undertaking or event. This may have been
influenced by a similar sense of gag that had come into being by the 1890s.

However, the great majority of Mr Lighter's examples in this sense date from
1957 or later, with only one from 1907 to suggest that it pre-dated the
application of gig to an engagement to perform live music. This is why
dictionaries are cautious about accepting this sequence of development of
the word, even though it seems to be plausible.

These days, gig can have a wide range of senses, including a fairly new one
that refers to any short-term paying commission or job; it need not be
associated with music or performance, but it does preclude permanent
full-time employment.

Best,

Bill