[Dixielandjazz] The Music Appreciation of Fans

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Tue Feb 22 20:24:24 PST 2005

Steve
Even though Johnny St. Cyr was primarily a guitar player and
tuned his banjo with guitar tuning, Armstrong DID employ him
on banjo as well as guitar.
And as to N.Y. bands in (at least) the 50's I believe that Eddie
Condon could be heard playing the banjo.

And, frankly, I like both. One on certain tunes, and the other on
other types. When you have a good(!) banjo player they are a pleasure
to hear, and I've been lucky enough to play with a few.  ONE of the best
(who played both instruments) is now playing jazz on mandolin, and
don't knock that until you hear the "Jazz Mandolin Project", which he heads up now.
Strangely, at the time he played with me he was the only 20-year old in a band
which otherwise comprised 50-70 yr olds.

Craig