[Dixielandjazz] The Music Appreciation of Fans

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 22 16:24:21 PST 2005

Tom Wiggins wrote: (polite snip)

> I was standing talking with Mike when an over zealous FAN approached him with
> her schpeil about how he needed a promoter and she had all the right ideas . .
> Have any of you heard this before ?? :))
>
> Now on this area I have to agree with Artie Shaw that the audience is mostly
> absolutely clueless, ( not Artie's Words ) which makes us as band leaders walk
> a very fine line between the urge to slap them sillier than they already are
> and bite our lip and smile and find a gracious way to thank them for coming
> and hope they enjoyed the show and please do bring your money and friends and
> come back and pay again.

Oh my yes.

After a particularly smoking performance for an older audience not to long
ago. One where we got numerous standing ovations after solos, ensembles, and
vocals. And a long Standing O at the end. One of those "fantastic" gigs.

Guy comes up and says in a thick German accent. "Vot you must haff iss a
banjo. Yesssir, Dixieland MUST haff a banjo." Wags his finger sideways in my
face.

Valid opinion says I, cordially, but we play a Kansas City/New York style of
Dixieland most times a style that does not utilize a banjo.

"Ach, dunnt you know Dixieland must haff a banjo?"

Not always says I, trying be be nice, but also trying to disengage
gracefully, then adding that sometimes we utilize a banjo. (big mistake)

"Venn are you playing mit a banjo? I perzonally vill be dere."

Not for several months says I, we really have our own thing without banjo.

"Ach, I repeat," he says, "Dixieland must haff a banjo." (I am now pissed)

"Look", says I, "That's complete nonsense. The first Dixieland Band, Buddy
Bolden did not haff, I mean have a banjo. The first white Dixieland Band,
the Original Dixieland Jazz Band did not have a banjo. And Louis Armstrong's
Hot Five did not have a banjo. Nor did most Dixieland Bands in New York City
in the 40s, 50s, and 60s. So, I think from now on, Barbone Street will not
ever have a banjo again, unless you want to hire us for $2500."

I said it with a smile that conveyed a clear "back off" signal and he did.
Not sure what I would have done if he offered a gig at that price.

Cheers,
Steve