[Dixielandjazz] Jam Bands

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 21 07:40:05 PST 2005

Often, we get posts about jam bands, how they are disorganized etc., and
even when composed of GIANTS, how they sometime disintegrate into: "What
Shall We Play", and other indecision that wastes time and mars the gig.

And on the other hand, sometimes they produce some magic.

Well, IMO, as a biased participant, yesterday's concert for the Pennsylvania
Jazz Society illustrated the magic of jam bands. Barbone Street played in 7
piece format, wherein four members were not "regulars". We had

Jonathan Russell violin, 9 years old, last played with us 6 months ago.
Tony DiNicola, drums, 77 years old, last played with us 5 years ago.
Joe Gibilisco, bass, 72 years old, last played with us 7 months ago.
Al Re, piano, 78 years old, never played with us, last gig 3 years ago.
       Al, one of the best players you will ever hear, had been very sick.
       (I had played frequently with Al 7 to 12 years ago)*

It took a little work. Like writing out the tune list before each set, Going
from Jonathan's expansive play list to a quick head arrangement of the tune.
One of the secrets in this mode is to quickly talk over the start, and first
soloist, at the beginning (10 seconds max) then, as the tune progresses, run
around among the band and add any embellishments to the head arrangement.

What fun. What fresh and exciting jazz. And what audience appreciation.

1) Frequent Standing Ovations for Jonathan's Solos and his Singing in
   Soprano voice. (Audience was riveted on him)

2) Ovations and cheers after all band member solos as well.

3) Ovations after ensemble passages (worked out while playing).

4) A wonderful 3 chorus trading of eight bar phrases between Jonathan and
   DiNicola on "I Got Rhythm". Guys who never played together before. Of
   course J is a prodigy and Tony (ex Harry James Drummer etc) has forgotten
   more inner rhythms than the rest of us will ever know. You should have
   seen Tony smile when J repeated a rhythmic line Tony had just played.

5) Jonathan's stage whisper admonition to me when I called out an unfamiliar
   key to the band on a tune. "No, No, it's F," he said adding, "but if you
   want to play it in G that OK with me too, it's only a step up." Yes the
   mikes picked it up and the audience howled.

6) J's duet with pianist Al Re on "Dark Eyes", building from solo rubato to
   in tempo chorus' speeding up then slowing down then a rubato ending. Al's
   fills behind J were as astounding as J's playing and Gypsy tone. Rhythm
   section joined in on this tune they hadn't played in perhaps 30 years?

And so on. Yep Jam Band or not, everybody enjoyed "REAL JAZZ" from a group
of professionals who speak its common language. You'd have thought we had
played together and rehearsed for years.

Other good news? A nice lady bought J some tickets to the 50-50 raffle. He
won $55. Not a bad day's pay for him since he also made sideman pay. You
should have seen him grin.

And, one of the board members of the New Jersey Jazz Society expressed great
interest in having him perform for them. Hope it happens.

J will be in Reno next weekend to accept a $500 award from the American
Association of String Teachers for being the best violinist under 13 years
old, in either the improvisation or the overall musicianship category. Drop
by if you are in the area.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone