[Dixielandjazz] Urban Spaceman

Tony Orr jsbarque at netscape.net
Fri Feb 18 16:40:20 PST 2005

Dave

thanks from another Bonzos fan for the website. The version of the Urban
Spaceman on the website is played in a traditional jazz form unlike
their one and only big hit version on the "I'm The Urban Spaceman" LP as
the "Bonzo Dog Band". It would be interesting to know the personnel.

"Jazz, Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold" is on the LP " Gorilla" as the
"Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band" It is a great parody of some trad bands who
think that they are the hottest thing around and sacrifice musicality
for sheer speed and loudness. Trouble is, their large, enthusiastic
followings tend to believe the hype as do the band. It can't have been
easy for the Bonzos to cross the rhythm when playing on the offbeat
behind the trumpet "solo" on "Jazz, Delicious Hot, Disgusting Cold".
Brilliant!. I love playing the track to people to see the reaction.
Quite a few don't notice the send-up aspect..Oh, well.....

"The Strain" should be piped into every public restroom instead of
endless Kenny G and Muzak.

Tony Orr
Melb, Oz