[Dixielandjazz] Question about 1920s instruments

BudTuba at aol.com BudTuba at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 16:01:52 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/11/05 10:09:50 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Loerchen2 at aol.com writes:

> I just got an inquiry from a woman who is working on a thesis on the
> development of jazz.  She needs to know the cost and availability of typical jazz
> band instruments during the 1920s.
>
> I would expect that a lot of young jazz musicians got their instruments from
> pawnshops, but do any of you have access to instrument catalogs from the
> 1920s or other sources that might help her?

If she can get access to the Metronome magazines or Jacobs Band Monthly
magazines from the 1920s she will find a fascinating resource of what new
instruments were available and at what price.  There were also some musician's
classified ads in these issues which listed instruments.

The Eastman School of Music in Rochester, NY has a complete set of these
magazines in bound volumes which can be researched.  If she comes to Rochester to
do the research, have her check our band schedule and actually look at some
old instruments (and instrumentalists).

Roy (Bud) Taylor
Smugtown Stompers JB
Traditional Jazz since 1958