[Dixielandjazz] Oboes and blues

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Tue Feb 15 21:28:42 PST 2005

Hello all

Bill Haesler wrote:
>There are also some pre-1940s blues records which feature oboe, but I can't
>quite bring them to mind. Maybe my mate Anton Crouch can help here.

Gee, I wish I could. Like Bill, I think there are such records but I can't,
for the life of me, think of any. A glance though the accompanist index of
Dixon, Godrich and Rye doesn't help either.

The best I can offer on the use of 'exotic' woodwinds in blues is Charles
Adams playing walking-cane flute with Phillips Louisville Jug Band in
August-September 1930 and Albert Socarras playing flute with Lizzie Miles
and Eva Taylor in June 1928.

Getting old,
Anton