[Dixielandjazz] S.F. topless joints

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Mon Feb 14 11:41:21 PST 2005

The late Orville "Arf" Pitney (Drum Major General of the Los Trancos
Woods Community Marching Band) told me he was the  clean-up guy and
morning bartender at the Condor at the time. He was the one who first
discovered the results of that infamous event... as I recall it was a
bouncer (or maybe a manager)  and a dancer.
http://www.condorsf.com/history.htm  says it was Jimmy Ferrozo and
Theresa Hill (she survived.)

Some internet accounts say this was in the mid 60's but I am pretty
sure it was in the late 70's or very early 80's... I can't find
archives old enough in the San Francisco Chronicle website. I will ask
someone I know in a California historical club for exact details ;-)

(BTW, a  friend of mine was a "Barker" at a different San Francisco
topless clubs in the 1960s - he said it was the absolute worst job
ever!)

OKOM content - there was a restaurant very near the Condor that tried
to establish a weekday evening jazz show in the late 1980s. Barbara
Dane was a regular, several other Bay Area bands played there on a
rotating schedule, but parking was quite difficult and food/drink
prices were way too high for the typical fan. It lasted a few months.

Dave Richoux