[Dixielandjazz] Oboe - King of Reeds.

LARRY'S Signs and Large Format Printing sign.guy at charter.net
Sun Feb 13 15:59:32 PST 2005

Very good article.  I majored on Oboe in college and played Oboe in the AF
band for a while.  I got my scholarship just warming up in the hall.  I
didn't even have a formal try out.  At that time I just didn't know that
high school oboe players were supposed to sound bad.  I had lots of musical
problems but a big sound wasn't one of them.  While in college I played with
the Cape Girardeau Symphony as well as the college band, orchestra and
Woodwind Quintet.  The part about pressure is real.  Oboe is the most
demanding horn I can think of.

When I graduated I could see no prospects for employment as a Oboe player.
At that time big salaries were not a part of Symphony work and here in St.
Louis the same two players held the job for years and years finally died in
the job.  I just couldn't wait and hope to keep the chops up.  I just
couldn't see continuing.  The practice regimen is demanding too.  It's a lot
like training to be a track star or other athlete.  You need at least 2-3
hours a day and that drove me nuts.  Just ask my wife how much she liked me
doing endless drills, scales and other practice.  I don't care what you
sound like you need a soundproof room or a deaf wife.

Yesterday I went to a music contest and there was a high school girl that
had the best sound of any H.S. player I ever heard including mine.  They
come along every so often.