[Dixielandjazz] Re: the terminal/gobson

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sun Feb 13 14:30:56 PST 2005

Dear Luis and Rob,
Further to Rob's info that:
>The saxophonist is Benny Golson, and he's the real deal.  He was in the Great
Day in Harlem photograph.......<
Steven Spielberg's film 'The Terminal' is full of interesting trivia (refer
to the Internet Movie Data Base site) including this little gem.
'The photo Viktor shows Amelia featuring a group of all the top jazz
musicians in NYC in the year 1958 was originally taken for Esquire by Art
Kane. It is the subject of the 1994 documentary A Great Day in Harlem.'
How about that!
By the way, the other musicians with Benny Golson in the film were Buster
Williams, bass; Mike Ledonne, piano and Carl Allen, drums.
The film didn't appeal to Jess and me, so we haven't seen it. We are waiting
for it to be shown here on Foxtel cable TV.
Kind regards,
Bill.