[Dixielandjazz] Who invented jazz?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 14:21:24 PST 2005

Listmates,

Steve B writes (regarding inventors of jazz):

"Hmmmmm. Does Richard Sudhalter know about this? Yes, he does. He waxes
eloquently about those early Italian jazzmen and their contributions . . ."

Ain't nobody denying the contributions of the Italians but we are seeking
the answer to the ongong question . . . "who invented it?"

Now I have already suggest J. S. Bach (who was German) but while Bach was a
great improvisor, composer, etc. the typical style of German music is
probably more embodied in the music of Wagner or in the field of polkas and
martial music.  By the way - I also accept the contributions of both polkas
and marches in the creation of jazz.

But I'm not sure I'd really want to credit the Germans with the invention of
jazz. That'd be a bit of a stretch. There was a time when they banned it.

But for Jewish/Yiddish contributions you might read some of another jazz
historian/columnist, Nat Hentoff, and see what he has to say about it. You
can google it up easily.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Oy Vey" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com