[Dixielandjazz] jazz/swing/dixieland

acjspres at aol.com acjspres at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 13:46:54 PST 2005

The young swing dancers in the Phoenix area talked to the owner of a cowboy
dancehall that was closed on Mondays and reached an agreement to open the club
 on Mondays for a jazz/swing dance night. We have been playing there every
Monday  since Dec 6.....we get about 80 to 120 young Lindy Hoppers there every
week.  They teach for one hour and we play from 8:00 to 11:00 pm.

Some of the dancers favorite tunes to Lindy Hop or East Coast Swing (or
Balboa or Shag) to:

Fidgety Feet, Moten Swing, Beale St Blues, Yellow Dog Blues, C Jam Blues,
That's a Plenty, Cute, Paper Moon, Jazz Me Blues, Struttin w/Bar-B-Q, After
You've Gone, Runnin Wild,  Woodchoppers Ball, Blue Skies, Swing That Music,
Basin St Stomp, I Would Do Most Anything for You, Lullaby of the Leaves, In a
Mellow Tone, Hindustan, Shiny Stockings, Wolverine Blues, Satin Doll, Moondance,
Benny's Bugle, Lady be Good, Avalon...they even dance to Black Butterfly and
Sweet Lotus Blossom  (you get the idea).

I like the title of Condon's book..."We Called It Music"!

Joe  Hopkins
AZ Classic Jazz Society Vice-President
AZ Classsic Jazz Festival  Co-Director
Jazz Clarinet 602-810-5888 or 480-396-6798
_www.azclassicjazz.org_ (http://www.azaclassicjazz.org/)
_http://hometown.aol.com/glcjazz/index.html_
(http://hometown.aol.com/glcjazz/index.html)