[Dixielandjazz] Swing Dancing & Dixieland

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 09:27:11 PST 2005

Had a group of 8 swing dancers show up at our Mardi Gras gig last night in
Wilmington's (DE, USA) Iron Hill Brewery. They danced beautifully to
everything and were from 18 to 24 in age. Much to the delight of the
enthusiastic audience.

The 18 year old brought her parents who were in their early 40s. At the end
of the evening, we chatted about swing dancing, and how the young are really
into it in the Philadelphia area. Mom and Dad booked us for a private gig at
their house (LARGE, with a private dance floor) that they were going to have
for 80 kids. Other kids there also booked us for 2 gigs at the University of
Pennsylvania.

What cracked us all up was Mom's question to me.

She asked: "How did you all get interested in Swing."

I replied: "I was there when it was very popular. All of the dancing when I
was a kid (at the end of WW 2 was Lindy) I've played for it all of my life.
All the guys in the band were there at the time."

She had thought I was in my 50's rather than in my 70's, and said:

"No wonder it swings so much more than the younger bands who are trying to
reprise it. Your guys are awesome."

Yes indeed, when we swing, (verb) it's the real thing.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone