[Dixielandjazz] Italians Invented Yass

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 9 07:39:54 PST 2005

"Tito Martino" <tmartino at terra.com.br> wrote (polite snip)

Stefano Barbone wrote:
As Richard Sudhalter said in his book, "Lost Chords" because there
were so many Italians in New Orleans playing jazz at the beginning, someone
should write a book on Italians and their contribution to jazz.
---------
> Are you kidding, fella?! Dontcha you know WE Italians invented Yazz in
> 1904?!
> Justa take a looka to the names at that time:
> Nicola, (Nick) LaRocca, etc,  etc, etc.

Hey Tito;

You forgot my favorite Sicilian School clarinetist, Nunzio Scaglione.
(Sicilian school is a flowery, ornamental style, which adapted to jazz)

As well as a bunch of other early 20th Century Sicilians in Jazz like Lala,
Veca, Giardino,  Bonano, Cordilla, Coltraro, Guarino (Hey Russ, your
Grandpa?) Pinero, Schiro, Mangiapane, Liberto, Franzella, Mello, Palmisano.

Because of the anti Sicilian riots which resulted in lynchings of 19 or so
Sicilians in New Orleans circa 1891, the Italians became a much despised 2nd
class citizenry there. Thus their musicians, similar in many respects to
black musicians, were ignored by the "historians" and even Nick LaRocca's
over the top boasts could not overcome that slight.

As an aside, that helped the Mafia form and strengthen in New Orleans. And
non musician relatives of Bonano (and Provensano, who Tito first mentioned)
led the two leading Mafia families) Just goes to show you not to mess with
Italian musicians because we get even. :-) VBG

Thank goodness the Mafia formed because they bought all the nightclubs in
Chicago, New York etc., and were the largest employers (and just about the
only employers) of jazz bands in the United States during the prohibition
era. Those halcyon days of jazz when the music was much more visceral than
the "art form" revivalists would have us believe today.

The FIRST Jazz Band in history was led by a Sicilian immigrant named Gombari
Boldano who later Americanized his name to Buddy Bolden and passed for black
because blacks were treated better than Italians in early 20th Century New
Orleans. Dan Hardie, do you know about this? :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

PS. The above is all true except the last paragraph. So, those who still try
and separate jazz, from social developments in the USA might reflect a bit
and re-examine their bias.