[Dixielandjazz] Making a living in the music business?

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Tue Feb 8 12:31:29 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/8/2005 12:01:11 PM Pacific Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:
Is there a lesson here for all those OKOM bands that perform free, or for
next to nothing?
Why are comics/musicians underpaid? Because we can be underpaid and then
bend over for more, not doing a damn thing about it.
Cheers,
Steve Barbone

While I am not a big fan of the musicians' union, I DO agree with this
statement by Steve.
Musicians love what they do TOO much.  They are willing to play in some bar
where the owner is making pretty good money, for "the door" and maybe a few
drinks.  Then the bar owner expect the musicians to do all the advertising and
bring the crowd in.  They also go and sit in for free, just to play their
instrument.
I have long felt that even the trad festivals have taken advantage of
musicians.  While things have gotten considerably better in the past ten years or so,
I still believe that most festivals could hire a few less bands and spread
the extra money amongst the musicians that are playing.
I know this is a "touchy" subject, but in traditional jazz more than any
other form of the music, people who make very good livings doing something else,
have played at festivals for very little pay (or in years past - NO pay, just
expenses) because it is fun for them to play for the audiences.  While this is
really fun, it has hurt those of us who have to try to make a living in the
music business, and therefore we can't afford to play as many festivals as we
would like to.  As many of you know, I have almost stopped playing trad
festivals. (Although I think I want to start doing a few more again and am in the
process of forming a new band with some real "all-star" types............)
I proposed years ago to the then "International Association of Classic Jazz
Festivals" about having a two tier pay scale.  One for "amateur" bands (NO
disrespect intended for the many GREAT bands out there who don't play full time
for a living!!!) and one for musicians who actually played full time.  It never
got off the ground and I know all the reasons why.  It will never happen, but
at least now, most festivals pay around $40 per set and expenses.  Some even
include all your food, which really helps.  But then again, how many doctors or
lawyers or even business people, would work for those kinds of wages?
Especially after spending years studying, practicing and getting a college
degree......
Just some more thoughts on the problems of making a living in the music
business.
Mike Vax