[Dixielandjazz] Jaz Italiano in NYC

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 8 07:40:09 PST 2005

BSimp57584 at aol.com at BSimp57584 at aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 2/7/2005 5:56:28 PM Pacific Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

We use guys like Adolfo Tesone, Sonny Gagliardi, Joe
Mongillo, Aldo Re, Guiseppe Gibilisco, Antonio DeNicola, Stefano Barbone and
lots more during the year.

Steve, You've got to be making up these names. I suggest you lay your horn
aside and take up a writing career.   bob simpson

Hi Bob:

Ha Ha, check my web site. <http://www.barbonestreet.com> You will see

Ace Tesone, bass -           real first name Adolfo
Steve Barbone, clarinet -  Steve = Stefano in Italian (Hey, he is me)
Joe Mongillo, drums       -  His actual name
Sonny Troy, guitar         -  Real last name is Gagliardi  uses "Troy" as
stage name.

And, on Feb 20, I am working with the following rhythm section at a
Pennsylvania Jazz Club concert. The rhythm above is working another gig at
same time (I split the band to work 2 gigs)
The guys below are Kenny Davern's old rhythm section when he gigged in NJ on
a regular basis, before moving to New Mexico. (Their average age is 75)

Al Re, piano            `   -   real first name Aldo. "Re" means King in
Italian.
Joe Gibilisco, bass       -   Joe = Guiseppe in Italian
Tony DeNicola, drums -   Tony = Antonio in Italian. This guy is one of the
best drummers in the

USA. Ex-Harry James Orch, etc. On many

records with Davern, Pizzarelli et al.

You can verify these names at <http://pajazzsociety.org>
Just click on the upcoming concert section. This is ONE OF THE ABSOLUTE BEST
RHYTHM SECTION'S IN THE WORLD TODAY. Also note we are presenting 9 year old
jazz violinist Jonathan Russell, who is not Italian, but he is a PRODIGIOUS
JAZZ MUSICIAN. We are also inviting high school music students to sit in
during this concert.

Love to play jazz with Italians. They know how to swing. They are also the
reason we distribute bikini bottoms as souvenirs which read . . . "Love
Those Italians".

As Richard Sudhalter said in his book, "Lost Chords" because there were so
many Italians in New Orleans playing jazz at the beginning, someone should
write a book on Italians and their contribution to jazz.

Yes Indeed, someone, less modest than I, should. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve