[Dixielandjazz] Re: The "Business" of Music

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Mon Feb 7 21:21:29 PST 2005

Hey, folks--

I hear the concern in this thread for the folly of the Baltimore
Symphony competing for an already limited audience instead of
imaginatively trying to expand the audience for classical music, etc.
But do I read rightly a disdain for federal, state, and corporate
grants, and $ for arts dissemination from fundraising campaigns? I
could cite flaws in all of those kids of gifts--wastefully elegant
brochures mailed over and over again, grants to dubiously worthy
individuals and projects, neglect of certain areas, genres, etc. But on
the balance, gifts to the arts and humanities help many people in need,
serve students and the public well, and sustain arts that don't have
the support enjoyed, say, by hip-hop stars, gameboys, and porno
websites.. Supply and demand and the free market aren't the whole
story. Also, there's both/and rather than either/or. Many artists learn
to peddle their work skillfully in the public at large, and also go for
the grants and subsidies with success. Maybe I've misread this, or
maybe there's a libertarian view being expressed that I happen to
disagree with.

Charlie Suhor