[Dixielandjazz] The "Business" of Music

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Mon Feb 7 12:03:25 PST 2005

In a message dated 2/7/2005 11:15:53 AM Pacific Standard Time,
TCASHWIGG at aol.com writes:
I am a firm believer that if you can't sell enough seats to cover your
operation expenses perhaps you have just gotten too big for your britches and
should move into a smaller venue with a smaller operation if need be, to
maintain a
solid sense of operating it like a business.

If Art is so Adamant about Art for Art's Sake, then perhaps Art should buy
all those empty seats and give them to kids hanging out in the hood in
Baltimore
with nothing to do.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins

Hello Tom (and others on the list):
I am probably getting in late in this discussion, but it is one that is very
close to me, both artistically and financially.
I understand that you are using symphony orchestras as an example and that
they are like huge elephants, when it comes to arts funding.
I still believe that arts need to be funded.  With the apathy of audiences
everywhere in this country, and the belief that musicians should be paid a
"liveable" wage, ticket sales alone just won't make it.
My nonprofit "Friends of Big Band Jazz" raises money and supports:
Concerts of my big band in the Bay Area - Mike Vax Jazz Orchestra
The Stan Kenton Alumni Big Band Tours - which include free clinics every
afternoon
The Prescott Jazz Summit (A festival in Arizona that has a huge educational
element as well as pros performing all over the city.)
Concerts in schools
And....................... we do give away free seats to students to some
concerts.
Our website www.bigbandjazz.net where part of every CD sale in the sales shop
part, goes into our scholarship fund.  (We have also linked up other jazz
sites all over the world.)
We have given away around $15,000 in scholarships for young people to go to
jazz camps and to high school jazz bands to buy music.
I am really proud of what we have accomplished, and it has been done with
individual donations.  We don't get the "big bucks" from corporations. (Although
I sure wish we could!)
Mike Vax