[Dixielandjazz] If You Play It, They Will Come

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Sun Feb 6 12:50:53 PST 2005

Steve and all--

The pep talks from you-all about making things happen have encouraged
me to try to start up some Dixieland activity in Montgomery. I’ve been
here 7 ½ years, and it’s never really been tried. The Ala. Jazz and
Blues Federation is all about blues and modern jazz. Good stuff, but
when I offered some Dixieland ideas they pretty much snubbed them.

Last I played two Dixie gigs—one at the new Mardi Gras ceremonies in
nearby Prattville, and one for a private party, and the people loved
it. I’m working on a happy hour with a club owner who has a cabaret
theme but currently only rents out for special occasions. It would fill
a big gap in the local scene.

One problem has been a lack of players who know even the standard
“commercial” Dixie repertoire--and can jam. Discouraging, in a city
this size. But there’s an 83-year old trumpeter, Charlie Higgins, who
knows the stuff and plays with great fire, plus a versatile rhythm
section of Joe Thomas on piano, Richard Garrett on bass & tuba and
myself on drums. Richard’s tuba is esp. interesting—he doesn’t honk but
has a mellow sound. When he plays in 4/4 on swing tunes, it’s almost
like having a string bass. There are maybe three reedmen we can use,
and a couple of trombonists and vocalists. I hope to be able to run
with this.

Re Mardi Gras, I suspect most of you know what I’ve learned since
moving to Alabama. The Mobile Mardi Gras is older than the New Orleans
one by a few years. They now whoop it up pretty strongly. Interesingly,
Prattville boasted a “boozeless” Mardi Gras, and no
breast-baring-for-beads was tolerated. I’m not for unbridled alcohol
and lust, but that might be taking the party out of the event.

Charlie Suhor

.