[Dixielandjazz] Sunshine - an example of a quest

Craig I. Johnson civanj at adelphia.net
Sat Feb 5 19:23:33 PST 2005

Just to show how much fun it can be to find a tune without the composer's
name, I just found the following listing of Sheet Music at the San Jose
(Martin Luther King jr.) Public Library
This looks like a realy good resource (IF I lived in CA)
( There are also lists for Stock arrangements, Choral. and
Songs and Songbooks as well. (Also copies of 2 sheetmusic magazines
(The base URL is:
http://www.sjlibrary.org/research/special/music_coll/

But on to the point here is the list for the tune I was searching
"Sunshine" (Assuming it is not a shortened version of a longer title.)

Sheet Music Collection:
Sunshine (Piano)
Berlin, Irving; Berlin, Irving   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Erickson, Libbie   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Haberstro, Albert; Haberstro, Albert   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Martin, George Dudley   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Moret, Neil; Weslyn, Louis;Gay, Byron   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Read, Edward   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Silvers, Louis; Caesar, I.;De Sylva, B.G.   full entry
Sunshine (Piano)
Udall, Lyn; Keating, Tom   full entry
I wish Carson had put the composer in the liner notes.

In The Stock there is one more:
Sunshine (1921)
Little, Geo.; Stanley, J.; Motzan, Otto;Grant, Chas.   full entry
And the songbook collection adds:
Sunshine
Davis, Mac   full entry

Good argument for putting the composer's name at least in the liner notes
of your CD
And by the way, if it is Nickname for a longer tune, there are 84 entries
of tunes with "Sunshine" in the title.

Craig