[Dixielandjazz] Crossover Musicians

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 08:09:53 PST 2005

Randy Fendrick at jfendrick at bak.rr.com wrote:

> Kind of reminds me of that old movie, "The Gig"  So many of the folks
> that follow dixie are unwilling to listen to anything else so they have
> no idea how good many of these players are.  I saw Watrous several
> weeks ago and he was talking about when he and Rosewell Rudd were
> exchanging dixie gigs in New York during the early 60s.  He was saying
> that was were he got his roots and there are many of us out there that
> did and do that. later,

AMEN Randy. I worked a few gigs with Roswell Rudd at the Cinderella Club in
NYC, late 1950s. He was really "crossing over" then, between Roots Dixieland
and the avant garde of Cecil Taylor. Incredible journey from a prep school
Dixie Band, to Eli's Chosen Six at Yale to NYC Dixieland club dates to where
he is now on the jazz scene as a complete musician.

He's playing Avant Garde, and International Roots music these days with all
the slides, smears and growls of a tail gate trombonist, which he first was.
What a wonderful "Jazz" musician.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone