[Dixielandjazz] Warren Vache' Sr.

Rick Knittel knittelsportland at juno.com
Sat Feb 5 06:22:59 PST 2005

Hello Listmates;

There is a conflict within me because I want very much to pay tribute to
Warren Vache' Sr., a man with whom I spent many joyous hours on the
bandstand. At the same time I don't think of myself as a very competent
writer and afraid I will come nowhere near adequately explaining how
grateful I am for knowing the man and playing in groups he joined and
led.

I first knew him in a band in north central New Jersey where he and I
were part of the New Jersey resurgence of traditional jazz in the mid to
late 1960's. It was led by Chuck Slate, a drummer and protege' of George
Wettling, who almost single handedly led that resurgence in New Jersey.
We were joined for a while (sometimes just for one night, sometimes
longer) by Bobby Gordon, Bobby Hackett, Max Kaminski, Jimmy McPartland,
Tony Parenti, Lou McGarrity, Gene Krupa, Teddy Wilson, and many others
whom I can't remember now. I marvelled at how lucky we all were to be on
the same bandstand with these wonderful musicians but lamented that they
needed to come to a little town in NJ to have work. It is this scenario
that fostered the early playing of both of Warren's sons, Warren Jr. and
Allan as teenagers.

By the late 70's and early 80's, Warren Sr. had formed his own group and
I was part of a steady gig with him where he was able to hire musicians
like Kenny Davern, Clarence Hutchenrider, Jane Jarvis and of course his
own sons, who by this time were quite accomplished musicians. I will
always be grateful for the wonderful times I shared with these men and
especially with Warren Sr. His dry wit and sharp mind will always remain
part of my loving memories of him.

Rick Knittel - JAZZBONE