[Dixielandjazz] Crossover Jazz Musicians

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 5 00:15:35 PST 2005

It's 2:42 AM and I just got back from a 3 hour Dixieland gig where we booked
bassist Charles Fambrough. (a very modern jazz player). The regular bassist
had a problem so Charles was it. And was he ever IT. 30 year career with
folks like McCoy Tyner, Art Blakey, Wynton and Branford Marsalis, Roy
Hargrove, Roland Kirk, Max Roach, Horace Silver and many others and many
other "modern" Giants as well as classical training, a great love for
Brazilian Jazz, and numerous composer credits. He is also currently teaching
at Muhlenberg College between International Tours.

What a complete gas. Reminded me of the DJML threads wherein some folks
didn't think the bass player should solo, or that Dixieland cannot be played
by "modern" guys. The nay sayers should have been there to see/hear him.
What a great bottom he laid down for us front liners.

Woo Wee, he blew our minds. And any thoughts that a competent jazz musician
would have any trouble with either 2 beat, or 4 beat Dixieland. Or any
thoughts that the bass player shouldn't solo, or use amplified bass or all
those other picked nits.

Man oh man, even after a 2 and a half hour drive home, I am still wired
about how beautifully he played and how quickly he heard the changes on
tunes he never played and/or had just a passing knowledge of. One In Chorus
of a tune like Dr. Jazz and he KNEW it cold. Man, he sure gets around his
axe.

Solos? WOW

Repeat! Woo Wee. What a complete gas.

For a treat , google search for Charles Fambrough and check out his career
credentials.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone