[Dixielandjazz] For The Ham Radio operators On The List

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Fri Feb 4 01:47:30 PST 2005

"Robert S. Ringwald" <robert at ringwald.com> wrote :-

> Have never heard of that TV show.  When & where does it air?

It's an old BBC show from the 70s. I thought maybe you would have come
across it on one of your many channels as most BBC stuff seems
to get out there.

There is some information about it here :-

http://www.steve-p.org/sm/

but more importantly for this discussion, the theme tune is here

http://www.steve-p.org/sm/smtheme.mp3

This version has some orchestration, which I don't remember from
any of the shows, it was just the two piccolos.

I heard Ronnie Hazelhurst, the composer, being interviewed years
ago and he talked about how he used the Morse code for inspiration.
He also mentioned how there wasn't much cash (he got £30) which was
why he only used the two piccolos.

All the best

Andy Ling